Friday, August 7, 2009

The Kitchen, Day 3: The Pantry Wall

beforeAbout eight years ago, I moved the refridgerator from next to the oven over to what I call the pantry wall.  The so-called pantry is actually a small area under the attic stairs, you can barely see the door behind the fridge.  I never used it as a pantry, didn't like the fridge next to the oven (I like to have some counterspace next to a stove for me to clutter up), and needed a place for the microwave and shelving for cookbooks.  That's all fine and dandy for me... but it looks, um, well, crowded, to say the least, and makes the kitchen look about four feet smaller than it really is.

So I pulled out the cabinet I'd previously installed, moved the fridge yesterday, and discovered yet more broken, fugly green plastic tile to clean, repair, patch, and cover with the silver stuff.  Although you can't really see it in this picture, the wall had been previously painted in several areas three different colors - I could never decide which color I liked best.  I'm going to repurpose this cabinet as a dresser in the bedroom later on.

So I patched the holes in the tile and the wall, and put the first coat of paint on  the wall.  This is my first experience using those new "Low VOC" paints, the ones that are supposedly more "environmentally friendly" because they have  "low volatile organic compounds" in them. tile damage repaired, wall has first coat of paint

First thing I noticed, is definetly a good thing:  No smell.  I mean like no smell at all.  If anything, there is a slight odor best
described as "fresh," if that makes any sense.  I was able to paint the first coat on two walls without having to leave the room at all!
Usually I can only paint about half a wall at a time, and take about an hour or so break between painting sessions, thanks to allergies and asthma.  Hrm, wonder if that's why I never seem to finish any of my painting projects!

The next thing I noticed is not a good thing:  Coverage sucks.  Oh my, this stuff goes on like really thin.  It pours out of the can
with the same viscosity, the same thickness, that I'm used to with any standard latex paint.  But once you start brushing it or rolling it on
the wall, it's THIN.  Goes on like water - it doesn't drip (at least no more than latex paint does anyway) - it's just really, really thin
coverage.  Just about everything that I am used to a single layer of paint covering up (stains, other paint, small hairline cracks) is
showing right through.  I'm going to have to do two coats, for sure.

But I like the stuff :)

and thisMeanwhile, I added a project that wasn't on my original list:  Make the so-called pantry an actual, usable, pantry.  Would look good to see "walk-in pantry" on the house-for-sale flyers, after all :)  I repurposed some of the shelving I used for books in the back room, I cleaned all the dust, and fashioned a cover out of some scrap wood to cover up the bathroom waterpipe access that is on the lower right wall of the pantry. 

I discovered when I moved the fridge yesterday that the shut-off for the ice maker water line is broke, so I've got a trip to Home Depot for tomorow to get something to cap it off.  Meanwhile, I just kinked the line so it wouldn't flood the kitchen.

The floor under where the fridge and cabinet was is a problem... I do have plenty of spare stick-on floor tile, but the floor's buckled from a prior water leak... I'll have to tackle that tomorow.  Great... is now this

Regardless, quite a lot of progress done today.

No comments:

Post a Comment