Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Kitchen, Day Two: The Orange Wall

I'm approaching the kitchen one wall at a time.  Yesterday was the backsplash wall, today is the oven wall... meaning, the wall where the oven and my half-size dishwasher are.   Also known as the Orange wall :)



I'm also rearranging the appliances, to make room for a table so my kitchen can be a proper "eat-in" kitchen.  It always was meant to be, but I never eat in the kitchen, I eat on the couch watching TV like most Americans do!  So years ago, I moved the fridge to the pantry wall, installed additional cabinets, tons of shelving, and added a half-size dishwasher.  I now have to basically undo everything I did eight-ten years ago, so the kitchen will show better.

Orange wall beforeBesides, it's cluttered as all hell.  Honestly, it's not quite as bad as this photo shows... well, not normally... anyway, I pulled the dishwasher and oven out, and finished laying the floor under where the oven was, a reflooring project I started using 12 inch square stick-on floor tiles but never finished.  I also had to replace two floor tiles by the door that had torn up.

Took shelves down, patched holes, resurfaced the wall next to the oven where the tiles had fallen down some years ago...what a BITCH that Orange Wall in Progresswas!!  Ended up having to sand it down and layer it back up with spackling paste in like 20 very thin layers!

Washed the wall :)  That orange is brighter now, yes indeedy! 

Any ideas on how to clean a ceiling?  Mine is, no joke, dusty!!  And of course, it being a kitchen, much dusty-steam has settled on the
ceiling.  Really don't want to repaint it... although I probably should consider repainting the ceiling solid white *sigh*

Got the  fridge pulled away from wall and ready to move into place.

Unfortunately, I couldn't leave the shelves up above the stove like I originally planned... seems my fridge is a bit wider than the original fridge,
and, in fact, wider than I realized... only way to keep the shelves was to move the bracket over about 8 inches towards the cabinets...and
then the door to the cabinet would bump into the edge of the shelves!!  Sure, could move the right side bracket, then cut the shelves to fit,
but screw it, too much work :)  Keep it open looking this way... hang some picture above the stove, or a big fun 50's-60's style clock (no
doubt I can find something funky at goodwill) over the oven.

Besides, turns out the shelves were too high for the microwave, I couldn't reach it once on the shelf, not being freakishly tall or anything :)

The silver with the orange and the black trim really pops, don't you think?
Orange Wall Done

1 comment:

  1. ceramic floor tiles are the best, i used to have linoleum tiles but they do not last very long ;-`

    ReplyDelete