Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Kitchen, Day One

So there I was in Home Depot, looking at paints, I wanted to find some
more of the primer I used on the kitchen countertop, so I could paint
the kitchen tile, make it look better.  It's pretty grungy green,
after all, not to mention there's holes where the insulation was blown
in, mis-matched tiles, cracked tiles, even missing tiles.  I found a
box of those god-awful plastic 1950s tiles in the basement, but they
were the frosted green that was originally used in the bathroom, not the matte
lime-ish green that was used in the kitchen.  I did use them anyway to
replace the missing tiles and the tiles that had been drilled through
when the insulation was done, plus some of the cracked ones.  Of
course, it doesn't match... but still, was better than nothing.

Still, got to thinking, someone walking in considering buying the
house, wouldn't like to see mismatched kitchen tiles... after all, we
DO spend a lot of time in the kitchen!

Anyway, the primer product specifically designed to be used on
formica, ceramic tile, and other super-smooth surfaces, is still being
manufactured.  Unfortunately, of course, it's gone drastically up in
price since I bought it oh, nearly 10 years ago!  $26 for a single kitchen backsplash before
quart!!  Which would be enough - just barely - but I also need to buy
paint, and then the sealer to use after painting, and of course, the
sealer spray is $16.95 a can, and I know I would need at least 3 cans,
having used the stuff on the countertop before... and of course, a
roll of painter's tape at $3.96.  Plus paint...I'm looking at $75 or
more just to make the tile look somewhat better in the kitchen!

Sigh.

I asked if they still sell stick-on cover-up tiles... these are
aluminum squares painted different colors, or just brushed aluminum.
I've seen them before on DIY channel... you use 2-way tape to stick
them on.  Not elegant, but would look better.  I remember looking atKitchen wall after repair, before cover
them before, almost bought them before actually.  But apparently they
are no longer manufacturered.  However, they could special-order me a
new product called "Smart Tile" - it's a vinyl/gell-like tile that
also uses two-way tape or construction glue.  And it's thicker, about
1/8", so it'll hide cracks and stuff.  He showed me this brochure,
asked how much, and he said $9.95 a box.  I was like SOLD!! They look
fantastic, and had all kinds of different styles!  Could order them
and be here within 3 days!  I then asked him how many boxes do I need
to cover about 24 square feet... I'm figuring probably two or three,
since most ceramic tile comes in 10 or 12 square foot boxes.  He then
tells me I would need TWENTY FOUR BOXES.

Kitchen backsplash in progressWHAT?!?  That's over $230!!!  Apparently they come in a box of FOUR
TILES.  Just four!  You gotta be kidding me!! I could retile the
entire area with ceramic or some of those cool new glass tiles for
less than $75!!  Sure, it'd be a major friggin hassle, requiring some
major demolition pulling all the old tiles off, ripping out the
sheetrock and replacing it with wonderboard substrate, got plenty of
mortar and grout left over from the bathroom... it'd only take me oh,
2 or 3 weeks... but it could be done.  Thanks, but no thanks.

So off I go, wandering around home depot, just browsing, kinda getting
a little stressed and a lot bummed out.  I really do NOT want to show
the kitchen looking the way it does, the kitchen is SO important when showing
a house.  Figured I'd go home and check online for something, somekitchen backsplash done
sort of idea.

And then I came across the perfect idea.  Sitting right there on the
shelf, just staring at me, calling my name, "Here is the answer, look
here at me!"

Contact paper.

Not just any contact paper, but METALLIC contact paper.  In brushed
stainless steel.  $9.95 a 24-square-foot roll.  And EXACTLY
one roll left.

Glory Be!

Contact paper.  Wonderful, fully-washable, fully-water-proof,
super-thin so no need to replace the countertop trim edge or wall
edging, inexpensive, practically indestructible contact paper.

So off I went to the cashier hugging that precious roll of metallic
brushed stainless steel contact paper, gleefully checked out, got
home, and attacked the kitchen.

Fortunately, I happen to have plenty of TSP (a very weak acid-wash
solution), which is perfect for cleaning the grunge off the tile and
smoothing out the surface just a wee bit.  Even though it is more work, I cut the contact
paper into tile-sized squares, so I can better conform to the texture
of the tile (plus makes it easier if a piece needs to be replaced).

I must admit I was a bit nervous when I put the first few squares
well, i still gotta clean the countertopon... wasn't sure how it would look, I've always wanted to replace the
tile with stainless steal to keep in that 1950s "Diner" look and
feel of the kitchen.  But the nerves were unnecessary.  I really like
the way it looks.  It went on super-easy, and although there are a
few rough patches because the tile beneath is dinged here and there,
it just actually adds to the character.  I'll have to buy another roll next time I go to town, as one roll wasn't quite enough.

I really like the way it looks :)

1 comment:

  1. thanks, this is what i am considering doing. I bought the contact paper for only $5.37 at menards. I want a stainless steel tile look but I have just drywall up now and no tiles so /i have to figure out to create a tiled look.

    ReplyDelete